Sunday, April 23, 2006

Happy Earth Day! Grub, Bellingham Style

Inspired by the folks in Columbia Missouri who put on the True/False film festival (housed in the super-cool art-house cinema our friend Holly helped to start), Michael Falter and Susan Tive put together a program of docs that rivals the big-name festivals (you know, like Sundance). They brought me up to give a talk after The Real Dirt on Farmer John. (A must see, about a farmer whose nearly losing-it-all story is as heart-wrenching as his revival as one of the most successful CSA farmers I've heard of). After I finished wiping my eyes, I pulled it together (slightly) and then joined everyone for the after-movie all-local food and wine tasting organized by Sustainable Connections. Altogether a hectic day, leaving Portland before the sun rose, heading up to Bellingham, and then going to bed just before it rose (again), but I somehow squeezed in a cat-nap in a cottage within eyeshot of Bellingham's beautiful bay and a night cap at a quintessentially Seattle dive bar with an old college buddy. --Anna

My angel schlepper Margot, me, and Susan Tive (festival organizer)