Friday, December 29, 2006

Cloning Okay'd? Where is a Conversation about Technology When You Need It?

For a 2007 New Year's resolution, our friends at WorldChanging asked me to join the collective fray with my two cents about "What's Next" in 2007 in 500 words or less. How to choose? I took a stab at it here, little did I know that the FDA would make my point for me the day after I wrote it. With their thumbs up of cloned meat for consumption, the FDA has bypassed yet again public engagement in making a decision that will affect us all. Read this take from the BBC: "US food authorities say food from cloned animals is safe to eat, paving the way for its eventual sale in shops." Andrew Pollack at The New York Times writes about it here: "F.D.A. Says Food From Cloned Animals Is Safe." --Anna

Image from NYT: Bob Schauf, with two of his cloned cows in Barron, Wis. Mr. Schauf said his family has been drinking the milk from cloned animals.