Monday, October 29, 2007

Compassion in Action and The Missing Peace Project

the missing peace project
compassion in action
July 2007

(I'm finally getting around to posting about this event from the summer... better late than never! --al).

This summer, I was deeply honored to be one of the two awardees, along with Nicholas Kristof from The New York Times, of this year's Missing Peace Project Compassion in Action Awards.
Once I got past the imposter syndrome (as in, I don't deserve this!), I was able to enjoy the evening. The awards ceremony was held in a beautiful gallery space on Manhattan's western edge. The several hundred guests were surrounded by art, including sculpture and installation as well as video and painting, inspired by the Dalai Lama. (For those of you in San Francisco, you can see the exhibit at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. I highly recommend it!).

Bob Thurman, cofounder and current president of Tibet House U.S., was the emcee and already humbled to accept the award, I was even more humbled to receive it from him.

The family: Josephine Lappe, Anthony Lappe, Frankie Lappe, and Anna Lappe

Mom and me enraptured by Robert Thurman's remarks.